Sunday, November 9, 2008

What to do now?

In June 2006 I completed the Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon. It was my first one, and I really thought it was a big deal. I followed an 8 week training program and I was super nervous before the race. When I crossed that finish line my world changed. I was completely hooked. I wanted to go do it again. Somewhere in the mix that feeling got lost, I got busy with other "important" life things and I didn't do another one until May of 2007. Mike talked me into it, I barely trained and I really didn't want to do the race. Well, when I placed 3rd in my age group that changed quickly! I promised myself I would never be too busy or too wrapped up in life to do what I think is the most fun thing on earth...Triathlons! (I also told him that my dream was to complete an Ironman before I turn 30).

So I quit my crappy, stressful, not fun full time job and went back to basics. I got my job back in the resturant I worked in during college, PT's Grille. That was awesome for about a year, I had a flexible schedule, I worked part time and I raced 4 more races in 2007. My life was a blast! Soon enough the resturant thing got old again and I started to feel reality biting. The thought of a real job was killing me. I'll never be a 9 to 5. Then all of a sudden I get offered a job at my favourite store in town...my bike shop!! How lucky am I? I have most fun full time job on the face of the earth, and I don't have to be at work until 10am!!

So in 2008 I signed up for an Ironman (momentary lapse in judgement...happened to work out in my favour), I signed up for a Half Ironman, I completely a century ride and then some, I did that more than once, I got the best job I could ever ask for, I work with my heros, I made some great friends, I broke all my personal records more than once...in short I had a BLAST!! I can't believe how lucky I am. And in the end, I became an Ironman. HELL YEAH!! (for the record I'm now 25, not even close to 30!)

Two years and 5 months after my very first triathlon, and 3 years after my very first running race (a 5K) I became an Ironman. Hows that for progress?? So now I've spent all week pondering what to do next??

Maybe I should run afew marathons before I do another Ironman. Or maybe I should jump right in and sign up for another one? Thats what I really want to do, but I'm thinking I should work on my running fitness first. Run for a year without injury. I also really want to do some of the century rides in the mountains: The Assult on Mt. Mitchell, Fletcher Flyer, Blood, Sweat and Gears...those sound super fun. I'd like to get better at riding hills, and bike handling. I really want to get faster. So what do I do? Either way there will be many more Ironmans in my future, if not in 2009 then absolutely for sure in 2010. Maybe I'll qualify for Kona before I turn 30....

No comments: