Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Me on a real Tri Bike



Theres me on the Felt B2 tri bike that I borrowed from work. (There are some serious perks to working at a bike shop!!) I still don't look that aero but the problem with the Felt is that as you move the handlebars lower they also have to move away from you. Therefore I had to leave them high to have them as close as possible because the frame was 54 and I really need a 52. See in the picture how the stem rotates over the headset. You can't just lower the stem into the frame like on other bikes.

I had a great time test riding this, I've never been on a tri bike before so I just wanted to feel the difference. I wouldn't get this bike however. That decision is made. The fancy "bayonet" headset is inclined to rub causing friction when steering. I noticed it right away and a mechanic at the shop couldn't even fit it.

I definitely want a tri bike now, my only concern is that I was so squirly on it. It takes a little getting used to, I'm worried about losing my balance especially at a high speed when transitioning from the aerobars to the hoods to brake.

Now I'm going to wait to see what Trek does with the Equinox for 2009. It should be any week now.

No comments: