Tuesday, September 30, 2008

All my new stuff

This week I acquired some new toys! First I got a lighter and more ventilated helmet, its about 40g lighter than my old one. Apparently, over 120miles that makes a difference on your shoulder and neck muscles. The ventilation difference in awesome, check them out:

above: old helmet below: new helmet

I also FINALLY sucked it up and bought some nice sunglasses to protect my eyes from all the glare on the road, and stuff flying up at me. I got them at the mall for $155. That's a steep price but I got a lot for it: 2 sets of lens (dark tint and dawn/dusk tint), a hard case, a bag, cleaning cloth, sport strap, a regular strap, and the frames are really good quality. They also come with a LIFETIME warranty!! I'm stoked about them.
I am also trying out a new seat this week. Its been very popular with the local triathletes so I figured I'd give it a try. I was fine with my old seat for a long time, but then this past weekend I rode 120mi and I was really uncomfortable. I'm trying to get lower in my aero bars so I think the pressure of leaning over like that is making me uncomfortable. Enter, the ADAMO GEL SADDLE!!! (I'm test riding it, haven't paid for it just yet....got to make sure it's going to work first! I'll write a review in a bit.) My old seat is the one on the left. It had a cut out, but the nose just wasn't working out for me. Look at the Adamo from above:The only problem I foresee so far (I've only riden 20mi on it), is that the front is a lot thicker than my saddle, so I can't pull my knees in as much....we'll see...

My last new accessory for the week is a pair of arm warmers that I scored for FREE! My friend Misty (one of my idols, she is a multi time Ironman) gave them to me, because she had two pairs and the mornings are cold now. That is a picture of the logo on them, I'm not sure who makes them but they are super comfy and nice and warm...I'm in love!


THINGS I'M THINKING I NEED BEFORE THE RACE:

1. Compression tights for the "run". They will help all my tired muscles, but especially my shin and calf on my bad leg. Either this or I'm going to wear compression socks or sleeves. I truly think this stuff helps. I ordered compression leg sleeves (as an alternative to always wearing the socks I bought) two days ago. The sleeves are made by Zensah, I didn't get pink ones, I just got white ones. (Trying not to stand out more than I already do!)

If I get tights it will probably be the CW-X StabilyX tight. I'm thinking of tights, only because by November 1st it will probably be too cold for me to run/walk in shorts. I don't really like the idea of wearing tights, but if they help me then I'll get over it....

Check them out here: Compression tights

2. New running shoes...its just that time.

3. New chain on my bike. My chain and cassette were replaced on 7/9/08, now the chain has a little over 1500miles on it. Time to replace it. Chains are like changing the oil in your car. If you don't change the chain regularly then when you do you have to change the cassette too....if you like spending lots of money go for it....

4. Leg warmers for the bike ride. That way if I get warm I can roll them down and take them off quickly! Way better than long bike tights, that locks you into wearing them for all 112miles.

5. Good thick socks for running and riding.

I'm sure there is more, I just can't think of it right now.

No comments: