Saturday, September 6, 2008

A swing and a miss

Okay, well I thought acupuncture was going to save my world but now I'm not so sure. I went again on Tuesday and was so excited because I just knew that my run on Wednesday would be fabulous! Not so... My leg hurt so much on Wednesday I didn't want to walk up and down the stairs, let alone try to run. I don't know what it could be because I haven't run since Saturday and Sunday, Monday, Tuesday I felt fine. Maybe it was the water skiing? Who knows.

Now its Saturday and I still haven't run. I tried yesterday and couldn't make it to my mail box (50ft). I'm thinking maybe I spoke too soon about acupuncture. I might cancel my next appointment. I know its not fair to only go twice, and judge it so soon, but its very expensive ($60/visit) and I just don't feel good about it. I'm not sold anymore.

I think I might try to sink some money into Active Release with Dr. McGraw because I truly believe in him. He fixed a hip problem I had that no one else could. I think maybe twice a week for a little while will work, thats what I did for the hip. Its aggressive, and expensive, but I believe in it. http://www.activerelease.com/ Click there to learn more about Active Release.

I have also been reading a lot online about peroneal nerve/muscle issues and found some exercises to help strengthen the peroneal muscle and all the ankle muscles:
toe raises, to strengthen the anterior tibialis muscle (2 variations, 1st and 2nd photo)

rolling plantar fascia over a tennis ball to stretch and elongate it
balancing one legged on a BOSU ball to strengthen all the small proprioception muscles
pulling on a stretch strap to strengthen the peroneal muscle
(also do this inward for the posterior tibialis muscle)
seated calf raises with weight on knees

For now it looks like I'll be sticking with the elliptical again. I have the Wilmington YMCA triathlon in 2 weeks...its a 3mi run, I'm wondering if I'll even be able to do that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim- I've done ART for my ankle and it did help some, better then most things. I wrote you back, but it was from work, and sometimes for unknown reasons e-mails get blocked- just checking to make sure you got it...hope something I said in there helps ;)
Take care.
Colleen