Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Running update

So for the past LONG time I haven't been running, just using the elliptical machine. I hate it. But, I do it because I want to finish this race. I've put a year of my life into this race, I'm going to cross that finish line. I've changed a couple things with my shoes and what not:

1. I'm using the Asics Kinsei shoes for "running", because they have a high heel and lots of cushioning.
2. I took the heel lifts out of my shoes so that my foot sits better on my new orthotic. I really feel the orthotic under my arch a lot better now.
3. Instead of using the ankle brace I'm wrapping my foot and arch with the Ace bandage everyday, because it gives me added arch support and compression on my shin.

This combination seems to be helping. The wrap technique I use is from that book my dad lent me:
I need to memorize it because I'll probably be doing it in the transition area at the race.

Today I tested all this experimenting outside. This is the first time I have done a "run" workout outside in weeks!! I know I'll be walking in this race so I figured I'd better get used to it now. My workout was 10minutes walking (as fast as I could) / 2minutes jogging. I did this 6 times, so a total of 1:12. I covered 5.03 miles and my average pace ended up being 14:20 minutes per mile. I'm happy with this. Its a very small step, but I felt no pain and it felt great to be outside, even if I do look ridiculous power walking! If I can keep this up for the next 5 weeks until the race, it would be great.

I'm hoping I can walk one loop of the course before the race (13.1miles). My goal is to get to where I can walk for 10min and jog for 5min. Then maybe I could get this marathon in under 6hours. At this point, that would be a miracle. I'm going to take this very slowly though. I'm just glad the walking outside went well. I wasn't sure what to expect initially. Everyone tells you "don't worry, just walk in the race", but no one thinks about the possibility of not being able to walk!

My post workout therapy includes stretching, especially the calf and hamstring, and the top of my foot. Then Mike rolls my shin and calf with a rolling pin. (Just like "The Stick", but a whole lot cheaper!!)
This gets blood flowing in the area and acts like massage to loosen up any knots that might be causing restrictions...or nerve entrapment....
Next I roll a tennis ball under my foot to stretch my plantar fascia and loosen up my foot muscles. This always feel good. Then I ice my shin/calf for 10mins, and I'm done! Hopefully all this craziness will work!


MIKE
My physical therapist, massage therapist, psycho therapist, chauffeur, bodyguard, shoulder to cry on, personal chef, dog walker, solver of life threatening problems, personal trainer, motivator, eternal optimist, love of my life, best friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim- just had some spare time and was catching up on your blog while sipping some coffee ;) SO glad to see you are able to do a bit of jogging and fast walking!!! I truly hope all your hard work pays off to get you accross the finish line, I have a feeling it will- just from reading your blog i can tell your a fighter ;) Happy Training!!!
Colleen

Anonymous said...

What a studly looking guy!

-Anonymous (definitely not Mike)