Sunday, August 3, 2008

14miles to a recovery week

My final workout for the week was a 14mile long run Saturday morning before work. Then I'm heading into a full week of recovery!! This run was tough! I continued to use my 15min run/1min walk strategy, its really working for me...anyone can run for 15mins, you just focus on that time and its a lot easier. This is the first time I really felt the affects of the previous day's ride on my run performance. The last 3miles were hard, I was really tired. It was also very hot! I haven't been stashing nutrition along my run route but I may have to start because the fuel belt thing just isn't enough.

I took 5 gels with me and water in the 4 fuel belt bottles, and 6 Endurolyte pills. My plan was to refill my bottles at the beach (7miles into my run.) Well, I didn't plan my calorie burn very well. I felt like crap drinking only water, basically diluting any electrolytes I was taking in through gel and Endurolytes. I looked like I had jumped into a pool and out again....soaked in sweat. The temperature at 6:30am was 75F, at 9:20am when I finished it was 84F. Humidity: 90%. Ugh!
So, I bought a Gatorade (against my will, I hate high fructose corn syrup) at a gas station at mile 8. I only planned to drink half (125calories), I drank the whole damn thing in a 2mile time span!!
After that things were good again. My legs were still cursing at me, but the rest of me felt better. I continued my gel every 30minutes and water every 15min and finished my 14miles successfully. That is the second time I've ever run that far! Everything after that will be a new record!!

On this run I ate a total of 700 calories in gels and gatorade, I burned 1991 calories!! Therefore, the amount a replaced was 35%. This could be higher. If I was just training for a running race this would be fine, however I will be coming off a 112mile bike ride when I start this marathon so teaching my body to cope with a high calorie intake while I am running is essential. So many athletes bonk in an Ironman, or DNF not because they are not physically capable of finishing but because they didn't have their nutrition dialed in. That is not going to be me.

No comments: