Friday, August 29, 2008

The past 2 weeks...in a nut shell

A lot has happened since I last sat down to blog. I'll try to start from the beginning.

LAST WEEK
My training went pretty well. I got my act together and completed my runs on the elliptical machine. On Friday (8/22) I did 12-13miles on the elliptical!!! 2 HOURS!!! Pure mind numbing torture...but I felt better when I was done. I also visited Dr. McGraw at Active Care Chiropractic a few times. He diagnosed my leg pain (shin/calf pain) as a "peroneal nerve entrapment". In english that means that my peroneal nerve which runs down my leg from the knee to the foot is being pinched but the muscle around it. So, every time I run the muscle swells, pinches harder and the nerve sends signals to me by causing me lots and lots of pain...nice nerve I have huh? Here is the notorious peroneal nerve: (click to enlarge)
Besides my normal struggle with yet another running injury, things last week were good. On Sunday (8/24) I went on my first long ride with a group! I felt completely special to be riding with the likes of Billy Curry (Ironman and BIG surf hero/legend) and Jim Mincher (Ironman and owner of Two Wheeler Dealer, also amazing surfer). The ride was awesome. I ended up with 95miles and learned some new bike routes in the area (up HW17, 210 and 53 to Burgaw and around back to 421). It was beautiful countryside, and with the exception of one small patch, the roads were super smooth.

Sometime last week I also finally took that Cateye double wireless computer off my bike. I was SO tired of watching it lose signal and tell me I as riding 2mph with a cadence of 0, when I was definitely going at least 18mph with a cadence of 90!!! Argh!!! I replaced it with a simple WIRED computer: Cateye Strada Cadence...
All the wires (as seen above) aren't the best BUT it NEVER loses signal and its dead accurate when I compare it to my Garmin GPS watch. I'll take that!

THIS WEEK
Still having trouble with my leg, Dr McGraw is working on it, I'm stretching and icing and wearing my new compression socks EVERY night! (I sleep in them)...check these bad boys out:
how sexy are they!? haha

Dr. Martin at New Hanover Foot & Ankle (podiatrist) also got in my fancy new orthotics this week so I got those on Tuesday...take a look...

new ones - rigid sole, higher arch, deeper heel cup =
more arch support for my MASSIVE archesold ones - more cushiony, soft orthotic, arch isn't as high = less stable = more pronation

Dr. Martin also gave me a compression sleeve to put on my leg when I'm running to help keep the muscle from rubbing on the bone and help keep blood circulating in the area. You can obviously run in compression socks but you get a lot of wierd looks...the sleeve somehow is more acceptable in public? Don't ask me....here it is...
Also in the news this week I bought a water bottle mount for my saddle so that I no longer have to ride with a camel bak!! I can now get about 50miles in before I have to stop for water! I haven't tried using it yet but it sure looks like I mean business sitting there on my bike! This way no matter how far apart the aid stations in B2B are I'll be all good.
They YMCA is closed for its annual repairs this week so my swimming has been suffering. I swam the docks (1.65mi) on Tuesday but thats been it for the week. Thursday it was thunderstorming outside...I had good intentions, and today (Friday) I had a rough morning and didn't go. I should have. While on that subject....
RUNNING UPDATE
I've been struggling mentally with all these running injuries lately. I took 3weeks off running after that 14mi run, because it was honestly too painful. My leg hurt just walking.
Finally on Tuesday I was cleared to try running, but I was SO scared that I just did 1.5mi on the treadmill and when it hurt just a bit I stopped. Dr. McGraw told me to try outside because your biomechanics are changed on a treadmill, so on Thursday I tried again. I went outside and did 45min. I ran 8min and walked 2. I had some pain, but it wasn't terrible. My thought though is that I have to run 26miles 2 months from now, if 4 hurts, even a little bit, then 26 is out of the question...am I right?
I proceeded to become very depressed about this (so characteristic), skipped my swim on Friday morning, as I mentioned, and sat at the computer from 5:30am to 7:30am researching the peroneal nerve and how to treat nerve entrapment. I got some serious education in those two hours...stretches, nerve flossing, strengthening exercises, ART (Active Release Therapy), surgery etc, etc, and then I found....ACUPUNCTURE!

No comments: