Monday, June 2, 2008

Low Country Splash


That was definitely the fastest 2.4 mile swim time I will ever have!! The river was kickin' that morning, and I got done in 52:40!! For me thats amazing...for all the hardcore swimmers that were competing...well they finished between 35-45mins....insanity. The race was great though. It was point to point. You park at the finish line and they shuttle you up to the start, the only bad part was that no spectators were allowed at the start. Then you all line up along a floating starting line and then GO!! And before you know it you're in a sea of 300+ people heading for that enormous bridge....the cool part is you always have a goal...first you're swimming thinking bridge, bridge, bridge, then you get past the bridge (sooo cool) and now you're thinking boat, boat boat...(the USS Yorktown is parked up near the finish line), then after the boat its pink, pink, pink....the finish line is 2 big pink buoys. Then you float around to this big plastic slides where volunteers pull you out like a beached whale....then just as you think you're getting your equilibrium back you realize the dock is of the floating kind and you are rocking every which way!!! This is was made up for by receiving an unexpected medal for finishing the race...I didn't know they had medals, so it made my day!

The river current was so strong it made it hard for everyone to stay behind the starting line. The water was pretty chopping in some parts too. AND to add to all this excitement a barge went by and the wake rolled through making you think you were swimming in a washing machine. Regardless of all this though I had a blast and I will be back next year. Its a great challenging event.

I came 15/24 in F25-29, and 127/164 overall females. I'll take that seeing as I'm not a die hard swimmer like everyone else there!

(for more pictures click on my Online Photo Album)

No comments: