Sunday, June 15, 2008

Swim & Run Time Trials...I'm getting faster!!

Today I pulled myself out of bed at an un-Godly hour (5am) yet again, to make it to the track before the sun got too hot. It's my weekend for tests, to see if all this training is paying off. So like my bike time trial 2 days ago, I want the best conditions possible.

After doing a bunch of research on the best way to estimate lactate threshold(LT) I decided to use a 30min time trial for my run. I think I've decided to use it for my bike next time. It is a slightly longer test than the one I did, and it seems to be the most popular in all the websites and books I read. I need to find a standard so that my results can be compared. The way this test works is after a sufficient warm up you start running at a pace you think you can hold for 30min. After the first 10min you hit the lap button on your heart rate monitor so that you get a reading for the average HR over the last 20min. That number is your LT.

Because of my trials and tribulations with running I haven't done any speed work, or hill running, or 5K races....nothing that would pound my legs, I'm so nervous about hurting myself now. Hence I was super anxious about trying this time trial. Anyways I got up, rode my bike to the track and did it. My pace hasn't improved since the last time I ran a 5K (November 2007), but I haven't gotten slower either, I'm right about the same....complete miracle if you ask me! Here are my full results:

1st 10min - Dist: 1.26mi Pace: 7:55/mi Avg HR 179 Max HR 185

last 20min - Dist:2.42mi Pace: 8:15/mi Avg HR 188 Max HR 193

Total Dist - 3.68mi Avg pace: 8:09/mi

188 - *New Lactate Threshold*

I'm happy with that, I'm slow still BUT I'm NOT INJURED and NOTHING HURTS ANYWHERE!! Thats huge!


I also jumped in the pool this afternoon for my last test - 1000yd swim time trial!! (NOT FUN) Here is what I did: First I warmed up, then rested 1 minute, and then started a 1000yd swim as fast as I could. (That is equal to 40 lengths of a pool for you non-swimmers). I took a quick second to hit the lap button on my watch every 300 yds, because I've done a test before that was 3x300yds with a 30sec rest in between, so I was just curious to see how it would compare, even though this test is with no rest. After the test I cooled down for 200yds and came home to EAT!!

In swimming most people test for a LT pace instead of a heart rate because its hard to keep track of your HR in the water. Most swim work outs are interval based so having a goal pace to do everything in keeps you on track. Your T-pace, as its called, is the average pace from your 1000yd time trial.

Here are my results:

300yd splits: 4:46, 4:50, 4:49
last 100yds: 1:36

Total Time: 16:03:05

Avg pace: 1:36/100yds *New Lactate Threshold Pace*

In that 3x300 test I was talking about all my splits were over 5:00!!!! I had a T-pace of 1:43, now look at me!! Michael Phelps might not need to worry but I'm moving on up in the swimming world!!

My next set of tests are scheduled in 8 weeks, I'm excited to compare the results!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimberley, your dad's here, he's showing me how to long onto your blog. It's amazing. I don't know how you get the energy to do all this, it wears me out reading about it. Keep up the training and win all your races.
Old Uncle Robert ha ha!!

Perpetual Motion said...

Thanx for checking it out! I really appreciate it. I have good genes, that where I get it. That means you have it too!! Love you, Kim