Thursday, June 12, 2008

Newton Running Shoes Review

I LOVE THEM!! I have spent the past 4-5 years going from one injury to another every time I tried to run consistently. I started slowly, built my mileage up slowly, did everything I was supposed to do, but something always hurt. First I had anterior tibialis tendinitis (sever pain from my ankle to about half the way to my knee on the inside of my legs), then I got over that and my left hip started to hurt, and it hurt to the point where I had to pick my leg up with my hands to step over something. RIDICULOUS! Then for a little while my right IT band was bothering me also. All the while I went to physical therapists, massage therapists, orthopedic people, an athletic trainer, nobody could help me. Finally I started to run Pose Method, which helped a bit but not entirely. Then I heard about Newton Running shoes, which essentially make it easier to do what Pose teaches. I figured, what do I have lose!? Well all I lost is my injuries!!

The shoes are light, comfortable, so easy to run in. The "actuator lugs" (pads under the forefoot) help you land in the correct place instantly, and they make the landing nice and soft. They also react to you landing on them, and move in/out of the shoe, so it feels like you are barefoot. I have run maybe 30miles in mine so far, with no re-occurrence of any of my injuries, and no new ones. I was worried that trying to completely change the way I run would take months of drills and trial and error, but this took maybe 2 runs to get used to. And really, the only thing that you have to get used to is using your calves a bit more than you probably did before.

I would HIGHLY recommend these shoes to anyone who is a forefoot runner, or who is trying to become one. I will never run in another shoe.

(Thats me, running the Cooper River Bridge in my favourite shoes!!)

No comments: