Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July Long Ride

While everyone else was sleeping in on Friday I hauled my butt 72miles of the Beach2Battleship course, out and back style. If you know the route, then you know this is quite an excursion, because when you get out of Wilmington (basically after the first 20mins) there is NOTHING....I think there is one store about 1:20 into the ride and after that its you and your bike and some cows, hogs, horses, the occasional farmer on a tracker and maybe a few trucks. I love it! Well I love it except for having to ride with a camelbak to carry enough fuel for the ride, and having to ummm use the bathroom, when there is no bathroom for miles....it makes for interesting times. Next time I'm going to take my camera so that I can show you all the stuff I see on my treks. This is a map of the course...the purple dot is my turn around point. When my rides get to 100 miles I'll be able to ride the whole course without turning around when I start from my house. (click map to enlarge it)Here are my ride facts:
It took me 4:01:43. My average speed was 17.8 mph (for the record I had a little head wind coming home). I burned a whopping 2695 calories, I ate/drank 1160 calories while riding (its pretty fun to eat while exercising), I drank a total for 128oz of fluids (stayed nice and hydrated), the temperature rose almost 20 degrees while I was out!! (6am - 73F, 10am - 90F)

Pretty fun stuff. Next long ride: Friday July 18th, ride length: 4hrs 30mins

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is quite the course - is the terrain good with few bumps etc? take care out there booo, I love you
Mummy

Perpetual Motion said...

Blueberry Rd is alittle bumpy, and there are train tracks to cross on 421 (2 sets), but the rest is great. 210 is really nice and smooth.