Friday, July 11, 2008

Garmin 205/305 quick release (bike to run)

Anyone training with a Garmin Forerunner watch needs to know about this. I used to just run with my watch and ride with my Cateye (wireless) cycling computer on my bike, but I started to notice that my bike ride distances just didn't seem accurate. I started rigging my Garmin to my bike, next to my Cateye just for a comparison and I was amazed at the difference. Over a 1.5 to 2hr ride it wasn't a big deal, but for example on my 4hr ride last week my Garmin (which is GPS...highly accurate) read 72 miles, the Cateye read 61miles!! Whats up with that!!

Anyway, I have decided enough with the Cateye, no more wireless crap that loses its signal and what not. I bought this....

It's a quick release kit so that you can easily mount your watch to your bike, then unclip it from the bike mount and clip it to the velcro wrist strap in seconds!! Completely elimating the need for a bike computer or wasting time trying to get the watch off the bike and onto your wrist. Garmin is genius!! I just ordered mine. ($20!!) All the online reviews are very positive, I'm excited!!

The only function the Forerunner 205 doesn't have is cadence (rpms). So I'm going to get a small cheap WIRED computer from the bike shop that has cadence and strap it on next to the garmin clip on my bike. People with the 305 can get a cadence accessory for their watch, but the 205 isn't that fancy. I guess I could sell both the 205 and the Cateye and upgrade...hmm...

No comments: