Saturday, July 5, 2008

My love/hate relationship with the elliptical

Since I've been banned from running for TWO WHOLE WEEKS I have been trying to rekindle my relationship with.....the elliptical machine. That dreaded piece of equipment runners walk by quickly thanking God they have two capable legs that can run from point A to point B, instead of being chained to a big hunk of plastic that makes you feel like you are going somewhere but the view never changes.

The ellipticals at the Y are thankfully pretty decent quality and there isn't a whole lot of clanking and clicking involved in my "runs". The doctor said I could do this, and I've been hearing its a good option for keeping up endurance when you can't run. The tough part is getting your heart rate up into your endurance zone for running. By the time you've achieved that your legs are moving faster than the machine thought it could move and the resistance is up to some number that most normal people never see.

Regardless, I'm doing it. I have to do it. It's my only hope. On Wednesday I patted myself on the back when I finished 5miles. On Thursday I did 6. That last one mile added a disproportional about of boredom. Since Thursday I've been thinking about today. The day I had to complete not 5, not 6, not even 7miles, but NINE. Nine miles, on an elliptical!!! In my fishing for positive outlooks on this I came up with the fact that at least, by the time November gets here I will be extremely mentally ready for the ups and downs of an iron distance race.

Hopefully I'll be running outside again before I hit 14 and 16mile days. For now though its looking like the elliptical for 10 and 12mile runs.....BORING!!

No comments: