Friday, October 31, 2008

An ENTIRE day of organization

This morning I got up at 7:30am and got out on my bike at 8:15. It was still 35F outside...perfect to test out my gear for the race. Outcome: I was moderately comfortable!!! Hurray!! The trick to being happy when it's 35 outside is hand warmers! (you can get them at any outdoors/camping/hunting place and they are awesome!! It takes a little bit for them to get hot, but when they do they are REALLY hot! I stuck them under my toe covers on my bike shoes and wore two pairs of gloves with them in between. My hands got so hot I had to take them out!

After this monumental success I proceeded to organize all my bags for the race. I also had to go to a "mandatory" athlete meeting at 2pm. I did learn something however: They decided that we will be getting our bike special needs bags back, so when I get hot I can take all my stuff off and know that I'll be able to put it in a bag at mile 50 or 60 or something around there. NICE!

Anyways, as for my bags....this was like planning a 4week vacation, but its really only one day, and its anything but a vacation! Here's what ended up in them all:

Pre-Event Bag
Just whatever I take off before getting in the water at the start goes in this bag, and they bring them over to the finish line for us.

Swim to Bike Transition Bag (very big bag!!)
helmet
ear warmers
head warmer
sports bra
base layer
TWD cycling jersey
arm warmers
shorts
leg warmers
2 pairs of socks
shoes w/ toe covers
2 pairs of gloves
wind breaker w/ zip off sleeves
hand warmer packets
chamoi butter
deoderant
tissues
towel
sunglasses

Bike Special Needs Bag
some back up food in case I drop anything
extra tube for my bike
(this bag will be more useful to put clothes in later)

Bike to Run Transition Bag

shorts and long tights (I couldn't decide)
long and short sleeve t-shirt (again...I couldn't decide)
race number belt w/ a pocket holding electrolyte tablets and 3 Accel Gels
socks
shoes
Ace bandage and picture of the wrapping method for my ankle
hat
tissues
velcro strap for my GPS watch

Run Special Needs Bag

2 more long sleeve shirts (one cotton, one technical)
gloves
electrolytes and 3 Accel Gels
Firefox light for my waist band
warm hat
extra Ace bandage
extra socks
Aleve
warm running pants

Post Race bag
big warm jacket
sweat pants
warm hat and gloves
compression sleeves

You think thats enough stuff!?!? Jeezz..

Oh, I also left a pair of shoes near the swim exit, because it quite a ways from there to the transition and its going to be 40F in the morning, the water is 65F. I'm not running it bare foot, I won't be able to feel my feet when I get there!!

Here's the chaos that has taken over my living room:


While I'm going on about my planning, here is my nutrition plan for the day:

Breakfast
(enough to feed an army...or a soon to be IronWoman!)
bagel with cashew butter (480 calories)
perpetuem with a banana mixed in (360 calories)
low fat chocolate milk (180 calories)

No, those aren't options, I'm eating it ALL, for a grand total of 1020 calories, about 3.5-4hrs before the race.

After that I'll drink some more Perpetuem (260 calories) about 1.5 before the start, then drink about 100 calories of Heed 10 minutes before jumping in.

Bike
0-20min:water (let the tummy settle)
After that, during the first 3 hours each hour I'll take in 260cal Perp, and one Hammer bar. The rest of the race will be just 260cal Perp each hour and 2 gels when ever I want them. (I'm taking 7 servings of Perpetuem with me)
Total Calories: 2680

Run
I'm carrying electrolytes (Elete...more sodium per tablet than Hammer Endurolytes has), and Accel Gels (because of the protein...help the muscles to not break down).
The rest I'll get at aid stations. The plan is 2 gels an hour, two Elete tablets, and as much Heed as I feel like I want, and water. That will get me about 250-300calories an hour, and about 350mg of sodium per hour.

Dinner
BEER AND PIZZA!!!!!!!!!! and water and Recoverite and aleve....

I also checked in my bike at the beach transition today as well as my changing bags. I'm sitting here at 7:20pm the night before my first ironman, and I'm relatively relaxed...is that good or bad? I guess by tomorrow night I'll know for sure.

The result of hours of work:

My bike, with cues for aid stations and mile markers that I like taped to it (Yes, I was an A student, don't laugh at me)

My bike all clean and pretty ready for the big day

All my bags, full of all my stuff

My clothes laid out for the morning, with my swim stuff next to it,
and yes, my pink PT's Grille socks...gotta represent!

No comments: