Saturday, October 18, 2008

New training foods

On a ride a few weeks ago a friend offered me a Spree that she bought in a gas station towards the end of our ride. We had probably rode about 100 miles and had 20 or so left and my energy level was steady. I was feeling good. But this sudden burst of sugar, and different flavour in my mouth just shocked my system and woke me up! Suddenly I had TONS of energy and felt great!

I thought this through a bit and figured I would try something similar the next time I had a long ride. The day we rode 115miles I busted out a bag of pink Sport Beans at around mile 105. My taste buds were stoked and my brain instantly perked up thinking, "sweet! candy means this is almost done!" I started the run feeling like I just left my house to go run.

I've also been trying to get more calories in in the beginning of the bike ride when it really counts. And I've been having a hard time chewing, breathing and pedaling all at the same time! I've been trying to drink Perpetuem as normal but also eat a Clif bar sometime before the 3hour mark. This has proven difficult because they are dry and just hard for me to get down. Then, along came Hammer Bars!! These things are great. They kind of just melt in your mouth, and you barely have to chew, you can just swallow. And they aren't all crunchy like Clif bars are.

This eating solid foods idea occured after reading an article in Triathlete Magazine about Ironman bike nutrition. Apparently, your body can't absorb as many calories at the end of a 112mile bike ride as it can in the beginning. Therefore, you want to get in lots early, then cut it back as you go to avoid gastrointestinal destress.

No comments: