Monday, May 26, 2008

Broke a record on my birthday!!

I'm 25 today! And this morning I went for my longest swim EVER. I swam in the Intercoastal Waterway while Mike kayaked next to me (I love him!). I started at the Coast Guard station on the south end of Wrightsville Beach and swam 2.2 miles to Oxford St. Thats 0.55 mile more than I have ever swam before. Now I feel fairly confident that I can complete the Low Country Splash 2.4 mile swim in Charleston S.C this weekend and the Ironman swim leg in November. After my record breaking swim we ran back to the car giving me yet another thing to celebrate. Yesterday I went for a 5 mile run....normally I wouldn't be able to run two days in a row because my hip would hurt or my IT band would hurt....well....since I bought these miraculous Newton running shoes I can run whenever I want!!! So 5 miles yesterday, 2.3 miles today....no pain!! Things are looking up!

We started this morning at just about peak low tide, so my swim was pretty much with no current. Which gives me a good reference for my swim pace over a long distance. My pace was about 1:44/100yds. I was wearing a sleeveless wetsuit, which I will probably be wearing in the Ironman, but the Low Country Splash doesn't allow them, so I can expect to go a little slower this weekend, unless we have a current.

Swimming in open water is definitely becoming one of my favourite workouts. Its so peaceful and serene out there in the morning. Minus the occasional boat wake the water is perfect, its a great way to wake up!

No comments: