Monday, May 5, 2008

My first Half Ironman....Success!!!

What a day! I started out really nervous, I didn't feel ready and I didn't want to be there...due to that I think my swim could have been faster, but I turned my attitude around by the time I was half way through the bike and well on my way to meeting my first goal....a 3 hr bike split. After that I had to face the run. I decided on Friday to go with the Adidas Boston Racers, how bad could it be? They were AWESOME! I love those shoes. My IT band didn't hurt at all. When I got to the 4 mile marker and realized I was running under 10min miles when I thought for sure I'd be running 11:30 miles I could hardly believe it. At that point I put blinders on and stayed focused. I held my pace for the whole race and at mile 9 had 35mins to run 3 miles and finish in under 6 hours (my goal time). I DID IT!! After the 12mile marker I just gunned it and ran as hard as I could finishing in 5:57:12. I still can't believe it. It seems surreal. All of last week I didn't think there was a chance in hell that I would even finish the run let alone finish in my goal time. I am thrilled!!
White Lake is a great race venue too, its beautiful out there and Setup Events does a great job with it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good half Ironman. Its also mostly flat and the wind isn't bad at all. I'm definitely doing this race next year.

No comments: