Monday, May 19, 2008

I came 2nd in my age group at Surf N Turf!!!!

This past Saturday I raced in the Surf N Turf Super Sprint Triathlon in Surf City. Its one of my favorite races! Anyways seeing as I have aged up this year and I am now in the 25-29 age group I didn't think I would win anything ever because its such a competitive age group...well....it turns out none of those fast 25-29 year olds showed up at Surf City this year because I came in 2nd!!! I jumped up when they called my name, I was so excited!! Everyone else walks up to the podium all nonchalant like its no big deal that they placed in a triathlon....well not me....everyone definitely knew I was stoked about it!!!
The race started at 8am, the ocean was beautiful. We couldn't have had better weather. I think I came out of the water in the front half of the pack, which is unusual for me....all this pool time must be paying off. Then I headed to the bike, the wind wasn't bad at all, I felt like I was flying, passing everyone I could. I sat there watching my heart rate, it stayed in the 180s for the whole bike/run/bike/run I think. I was pushing as hard as I could. Unfortunately I had to change my shoes every time because I couldn't get my pedals off the night before....it turned out to not be so bad. The 1st run was mostly on the beach...so hard. It felt like was going to last forever...its the longest 2 miles I have ever run. I was quite happy to be back on my bike after that, then I blazed through the last mile run thinking its only a mile, its only a mile, you can push harder for just one mile.....sprint triathlons are so PAINFUL! You have to push so hard the whole time. I've decided I'm a much bigger fan of the longer races.
Anyways here is what all this energy exertion got me:

750m swim - 14:07
4mile bike - 13:14
2mile run - 15:04
4mile bike - 12:12
1mile run - 8:34

Total - 1:03:08

age group: 2/13 overall females: 14/75

No comments: